St Mirren 0-1 Partick- Match Report

St Mirren 0-1 Partick: Match Report - view commentary, squad, and statistics of the game as it happened.Partick grind out important winA Christie Elliot strike 15 minutes from time was enough to give Partick three crucial points against St Mirren and lift them seven clear of the bottom of the Premiership table.After a poor first half the Firhill side had a better second half and did just enough for the points.On a miserable afternoon for football, though, it was another dismal home performance from St

Mirren which leaves the Paisley side joint bottom with Ross County.Still searching for their first home win of the season, Saints made a promising start as Thomas Reilly fired a long-range effort wide of goal within the first minute.Partick, without the goal threat of Kris Doolan and Kallum Higginbotham, forced the first save of the game when Ryan Stevenson dragged the ball across the edge of the penalty box before Sean Welsh fired straight at Marian Kello.Most of the early play was towards Scott Fox in the opposite goal and after 13 minutes Marwood struck a terrific left-foot drive across the diving Thistle keeper but the ball flew past the post.Two minutes later, Saints dead-ball expert Kenny McLean had his first opportunity from a free kick five yards outside the box but hoisted his effort over the bar.As the incessant rain made the surface greasy, sliding tackles were common but Partick's Steven Lawless was a bit late with his to earn a yellow card.Good football and action around the goalmouths became scarce as the half progressed, although a good break by Saints on the half-hour ended with Ball's thumping drive being blocked by Frederic Frans.Another late sliding challenge from Welsh cost him a booking and was his last involvement, the Thistle captain replaced by Gary Fraser at half-time.Whether it was the change or a blast from boss Alan Archibald, Thistle started the second 45 a much improved side.Within a minute Stevenson failed to meet Stephen O'Donnell's cross from the right before Elliot's cross from the other side slid just behind Lawless in the six-yard box.Another tempting cross from O'Donnell found Elliot

whose powerful header sent the ball amongst the 1,000 Thistle fans in the stand behind Kello's goal.Desperate for all three points both managers made attack-minded substitutions after 55 minutes, with Ross Caldwell replacing Ball for the home side and Thistle bringing on their leading scorer Doolan for Stevenson.It was Thistle's third substitution, though, which paid off immediately in the 75th minute

Declan McDaid had just come on for Lawless and his first run down the right wing ended with a cross low cross into the Saints box

As the ball was played out to Elliot at the edge of the box he seemed to stumble before sending a low shot skimming under Kello's body for the all-important winning goal.Saints pushed for an equaliser and six minutes from time Marc McAusland forced a low header towards goal but Fox smothered the ball at foot of the post.Then in injury time, Adam Drury came agonisingly close to grabbing a point with a dipping-20 yard drive which thundered off the crossbar with the keeper beaten

Source : PA

Source: PA