Saints 1-1 Aberdeen

Last updated : 30 September 2013 By Stuart Gillespie

I said in the preview that if we didn't win, at least let us enjoy a goal and a fighting display from our side. That's what we got, although Aberdeen were probably more of a threat in attack. Taken on its own a draw with them is pretty good - the problem is it merely means one point from six games has become two points from seven. Still, at least the run of defeats and goalless games has ended.

Danny Lennon rang the changes for this game, with Darren McGregor, Sean Kelly, John McGinn and the mythical Lee Mair all starting. Out went Gary Harkins, Gary Teale, the injured Marc McAusland and the suspended Danny Grainger.

The first half was far from a classic, Aberdeen probably having more of the ball but we had the best chance when John McGinn tested Jamie Langfield from distance.

We started the second half more brightly and finally ended more than two and a half games without a goal when Paul McGowan's cross found Steven Thompson and he spun inside the box before firing home.

With our defensive record you knew we would probably need a second to get three points but we rarely looked like getting it, although Kenny McLean shot just wide from the edge of the box. Unsurprisingly Aberdeen pushed forward as they looked for an equaliser, Johnny Hayes drawing a fine save from Christopher Dilo from a free-kick and Niall McGinn hitting the post when he was clean through.

Sadly, the ball was knocked behind for a corner, it wasn't properly cleared and Peter Pawlett lashed it home with less than 10 minutes to go. In the last few minutes McGinn had a great chance to win it for the Dons but lashed it wide.

So we're still looking for a win, but at least there are finally signs of improvement - surely no coincidence it comes when just about everyone is in their correct position. Let's hope we see more of the same at Tynecastle on Saturday.

Follow Mirren Mad on Facebook at

Follow Mirren Mad on Twitter @mirren_mad or