Millennium Champions: Bye bye Goofy

Last updated : 28 October 2009 By Stuart Gillespie
Campbell, known as Goofy by opposition fans due to his appearance and idiocy, was perhaps feeling the pressure at this point in time. Indeed, he chucked it a few days later, but not before we'd given the Pars a good thrashing to prove we were planning to stay at the top of the first division for a long time to come.

There was some good news a few days before this game after Barry Lavety's loan move from Hibs was turned into a permanent deal, the striker signing up at Love Street until the end of the season. Basher had already scored eight goals since his return to the club and the ninth arrived 10 minutes before half time, volleying home Iain Nicolson's cross while also trying, and failing, not to fall over.

The lead did not last long into the second half, by which point Goofy had introduced jug eared striker Andy Smith. He had little part in his side's goal though as Ludovic Roy was unable to hold Stevie Crawford's shot and David Moss scored the rebound.

We were rocking a bit by this stage, but fortunately we had our own jug eared striker who was rather better than Smith. Sure enough, just minutes after the goal, Ian Ross crossed for Mark Yardley and the big man produced a fantastic looping header.

Dunfermline were still looking dangerous but couldn't make it count and with a few minutes left a combination of Yards and Pars defender Andy Tod saw the ball end up in the net once again, to the delight of the huge Saints support.

There was still time for some more drama when Barry McLaughlin somehow ended up with a broken nose after a clash with an opponent. The officials missed it, but they didn't miss manager Tom Hendrie complaining about it and they sent him to the stand. The swiftness of the SFA meant he didn't serve his suspension until the following season!

It was the only blemish on an otherwise perfect day for Saints. The title challenge was very much alive as we headed to Cappielow to play our soapdodging chums.